One more recipe this week because I can’t help it – let’s call it week o’ the chicories since I JUST posted the escarole salad recipe as well. People so often think of radicchio as a bitter salad green only – but once you try it as a true vegetable you will never look back! Grilled radicchio can be done with either regular “ball” radicchio or with the “treviso” or “sugarloaf” style of radicchio – the upright growing ones that look a bit like romaine. Grilling makes radicchio sweet to my palate – and takes on a charred flavoring that brings out its true nature – a hearty vegetable that can hang with a steak or become the centerpiece of a vegetarian feast. Believe me, once you try this simple dish it will forever be in your menu rotations at home. Enjoy!
- 1-2 heads treviso radicchio
- EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
- favorite dressing
- salt and pepper
- Preheat your grill.
- Slice radicchio as seen in the picture – through the stem. Rinse out the leaves to remove any dirt. Let drain cut-side down on paper towels while you make dressing. We use a balsamic vinaigrette (see escarole salad recipe).
- Rub bottom leaves with EVOO. Drizzle EVOO on cut-side of radicchio and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place on grill cut-side up. Grill with cover down for 5-7 minutes. When bottom leaves are getting a slight char, grill radicchio cut-side down for 5-7 minutes.
- When done cooking, remove radicchio to platter to rest and drizzle dressing over.
- When ready to serve, chop radicchio and serve!